Mono 2.6.1 is a portable and open source implementation of the .NET framework for Unix, Windows, MacOS and other operating systems.
The Mono 2.4.2, first version of mono which introduced the ASP.NET MVC Open Source Stack support.
These are some of the major features in this release:
- WCF client and server, the subset exposed by Silverlight 2.0
- LLVM support, to improve performance on server/computational loads
- Co-routine framework Mono.Tasklets
- Preview of LINQ to SQL using DbLinq
- New Soft Debugger, integrated with MonoDevelop 2.2
- Joint release with MonoDevelop 2.2
- csharp shell now supports auto-completion
- xbuild can now build most msbuild projects
- Support for CoreCLR security:
- Mono debuts a full metadata and IL verifier
- Security system used by Silverlight applications, reusable for other cases.
Another grreat add-in by Mono Project is that Visual Studio support plugins called Mono Tools
Mono Tools for Visual Studio is a commercial add-in for Microsoft™ Visual Studio™ that enables developers to write .NET applications for non-Windows platforms within their preferred development environment. It allows developers to build, debug and deploy .NET applications on Linux, while continuing to leverage the extensive ecosystem of code, libraries, and tools available for .NET.
Visit & download from Mono Site
Visit & Download MonoTools for Visual Studio