In DECEMBER 2010 Silverlight Fire starter event Microsoft announced the upcoming release of Silverlight 5. Read Scott GU’s Silverlight 5 -announcement blog. and right after an year, yesterday Microsoft has made a remarkable announcement for developers by Releasing final version of Silverlight 5 (RTW).
Silverlight 5 offers many new features including:
- PivotViewer control
- Trusted applications in-browser
- 3D graphics
- Vector printing
- Improved text rendering including the RichTextBlock control.
- Hardware decode of H.264 media
For a detailed list of the new features see the Silverlight content on MSDN, specifically, the What’s New for Silverlight 5 link.
is an add-on for Visual Studio® 2010 SP1 to provide tooling for Microsoft® Silverlight® 5 and Microsoft® WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2 . It can be installed on top of either Visual Studio® 2010 SP1 or Visual Web Developer 2010 Express Service Pack 1. It extends existing Microsoft® Silverlight® 4 features and multitargeting capabilities in Visual Studio® 2010 SP1 to also create applications for Microsoft® Silverlight® 5 using C# or Visual Basic.
This download will install all components necessary for Microsoft® Silverlight® 5 and Microsoft® WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2 development:
- Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime
- Silverlight 5 SDK (software development kit)
- Update for Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 and Visual Web Developer Express 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2502836)
- Microsoft WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2
Other Silverlight related Downloads: