May 12, 2017
Analytics, Azure, Cloud Computing, CosmosDB, Data Analytics, Data Services, Document DB, Emerging Technologies, Microsoft, PaaS, Storage, Backup & Recovery
Azure Cosmos DB is the next generation globally distributed multi model database from Microsoft. Cosmos DB has been built from scratch in mind with efficient global distribution and horizontal scalability aspects as the core.
- Azure Cosmos DB guarantees single-digit-millisecond latencies at the 99% availability across the world with Enterprise Level SLAs.
- Offers a set of well-defined consistency models to enable high availability.
- Multi-Model – offers ability to support key-value, graph and document data in one service
- Elastically scalable and higher throughput.
- Column Family
- Document DB
- Mongo DB
- Table Storage
- Gremlin Graph
** Azure Cosmos DB is a superset of the existing DocumentDB service, and Microsoft will be transitioning all existing DocumentDB customers to Azure Cosmos DB, free of charge without data loss.
Read more from:
May 10, 2017
.NET, .NET Core 1.0, .NET Core 1.0.1, .NET Framework, ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core 1.0, ASP.NET Core 1.0.1, ASP.NET MVC, Mac OSX, MacOS Sierra, Microsoft, Mobile-Development, SignalR, Visual Studio for Mac, VisualStudio, Web API v2.0, Xamarin, Xamarin Studio
Microsoft has released Visual Studio for Mac, a revamped and renamed version of Xamarin Studio with little bit look and feel changes to make it look like Visual Studio product line has been released.
With Visual Studio for Mac, you should be able to develop .NET/C#/ASP.NET based apps and XAMARIN Native and Forms based apps in Mac OS environment.
Visual Studio for Mac comes with different editions like as in Visual Studio 2017/Xamarin Studio such as Community, Professional and Enterprise.
- Visual Studio Community for Mac – Free, fully-featured IDE for students, open-source and individual developers.
- Visual Studio Professional for Mac – Professional developer tools, services, and subscription benefits for small teams.
- Visual Studio Enterprise for Mac – End-to-end solution to meet demanding quality and scale needs of teams of all sizes.
Go through Release Notes here for more details.
May 3, 2017
.NET, .NET 4.7, .NET Framework, .NET Framework 4.7, ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, C#.NET, Caching, Cryptography, Extensions, Microsoft, Performance, Security, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2017, VisualStudio, VS2012, VS2013, VS2015, WCF, Web API, Web API v2.0, Windows, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, WinForms, WPF
Microsoft has released next version of .NET Framework (do not get confused with .NET Core) . Though the .NET Framework 4.7 was released as part of Windows 10 Creators Update a month ago. You can now install the .NET Framework 4.7 on other versions of Windows
Download the: .NET Framework 4.7 – Web installer | Offline Installer
.NET Framework 4.7 Developer Pack In order to add support for .NET Framework 4.7 in Visual Studio 2012 or later we need to install Developer Pack.
Windows Versions and Support:
The .NET Framework 4.7 is supported on the following Windows versions:
- Windows 10 Creators Update (included in-box)
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7 SP1
The .NET Framework 4.7 is supported on the following Windows Server versions:
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
New Features in .NET Framework 4.7:
On a high-level below are the set of new features introduced in following areas:
Networking Default operating system support for TLS protocols*
- Object Cache Extensibility (plug in new implementations of an object cache for an ASP.NET application by using the new ICacheStoreProvider interface. )
- Memory monitoring (Developers can now write their own memory monitors to replace the default by using the ApplicationMonitors.MemoryMonitor property.)
- Memory Limit Reactions. (Developers can now replace or supplement the default behavior by subscribing IObserver implementations to the application’s memory monitor.
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Ability to configure the default message security settings to TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2
- Improved reliability of WCF applications and WCF serialization
Windows Forms – High DPI support
Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
- Support for a touch/stylus stack based on Windows WM_POINTER messages
- New implementation for WPF printing APIs
Also improvements in :
- High DPI support for Windows Forms applications on Windows 10
- Touch support for WPF applications on Windows 10
- Enhanced cryptography support
- Support for C# 7 and VB 15, including ValueTuple
- Support for .NET Standard 1.6
- Performance and reliability improvements
April 25, 2017
AMQP, Analytics, Azure, Azure IoT Suite, Cloud Computing, Cloud Services, Cloud to Device, Communication Protocols, Connected, Connectivity, Device to Cloud, Emerging Technologies, HTTP 1.1, Identity of Things (IDoT), Intelligent Cloud, Intelligent Edge, Internet of Things, IoT, IoT Central, IoT Devices, IoT Edge, IoT Hub, IoT Privacy, IoT Security, Machines, MQTT, PaaS, SaaS, Stream Analytics
Microsoft has today released their IoT SaaS offering for customers and partners called as “Microsoft IoT Central”. IoT Central enables powerful IoT scenarios without requiring cloud solution expertise and also simplifies the development process and makes customers to make quick time to market solutions, making digital transformation more accessible to everyone without overhead of implement solutions end to end.
As per Microsoft :
“IoT Central provides an easier way to create connected products that propel digital business. Take the complexity out of the Internet of Things (IoT) with a true, end-to-end IoT software as a service (SaaS) solution in the cloud that helps you build, use, and maintain smart products.”
Benefits of IoT Central:
- Proven platform and technology with enterprise grade security.
- Reduced complexities of setting up and maintaining IoT infrastructure and solutions.
- Building smart connected products with lesser cost and lesser overhead would ensure higher customer satisfaction.
- Quickly adapt to changing environments.
For those would need control on implementing end to end can still choose the PaaS solution Azure IoT Suite.
Below is a picture from @JanakiramMSV’s article from forbes.com, to help you have a high level look at all the IoT offerings from Microsoft.
April 5, 2017
.NET, .NET 4.7, .NET Core 1.0, .NET Framework, .NET Framework 4.5.2, .NET Framework 4.6, .NET Framework 4.7, ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core 1.0, ASP.NET MVC, C#.NET, Microsoft, Troubleshooting, Visual Studio 2017, VisualStudio, VS2017, WCF, Windows, Windows 10
I was frustrated by this error when I am trying to reinstall Visual Studio 2017 after my visual studio got corrupted/failed during upgrade to 15.1 ( or after a previous installation failed due to low disk space).
There is a file called ‘state.json’ , in below mentioned path, which is creating this particular issue.
- Delete/rename the folder as is or rename ‘state.json’ file to ‘something.json’ .
Found from : https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/2877/install-error-0x80131500-failed-to-deserialize-pac.html