Azure Cosmos DB is a planet scale global document database which have been available for Azure Customers based on pay-as-you-go. Reserved Capacity is a new long term pre-paid billing commitment customers can get a discounted pricing. Azure Cosmos DB reserved capacity helps you save money by pre-paying for Azure Cosmos DB resources for a period of one year or three years.
- Reserve capacity allows you to get a optimum discount for the throughput(RUs) provisioned for Cosmos DB resources.
- For Ex: Databases and Containers (tables/collections/graphs).
Scope of Reservation:
A reservation is scoped to a single subscription or shared across all your enrolment:
- Scoped to a Single Subscription: that means a set of cosmos db account resources such as database or containers within the selected subscription.
- Shared/Scoped to an enrolment: Billing benefit can be shared across any subscription in the enterprise agreement or pay-as-you-go subscriptions.
Who can opt-in for Reserved Capacity?
This feature is currently only applicable for enrolment (Enterprise Agreement customers) or account (Pay-as-you-go customers). Users with MSDN Subscription benefits are not applicable for the Reserved Capacity benefits.
You can buy Azure Cosmos DB reserved capacity from the Azure portal.
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- Select All services > Reservations > Add and Select Product Type > Cosmos DB
For more details review reserved capacity documentation.