May 13, 2017
.NET, Analytics, Artificial Intelligence(AI), Augmented Reality, Azure, Azure IoT Suite, Cloud Computing, Data Analytics, Edge Analytics, Embedded, Emerging Technologies, Event Hubs, Industrial Automation, Intelligent Cloud, Intelligent Edge, IoT, IoT Edge, IoT Hub, Linux, Mac OSX, Machine Learning(ML), Microsoft, Robotics, Self Driven Cars, Stream Analytics, Windows, Windowz Azure
During Build! 2017 Microsoft has announced the availability of Azure IoT Edge, which would bring in some of the cloud capabilities to edge devices/networks within your Enterprise. This would enable industrial devices to utilize the capabilities of IoT in Azure within their constrained resources .
With this Microsoft now makes it easier for developers to move some of their computing needs to these devices. Edge devices are mostly having small foot print based to high end machines within your company network.
The essential capabilities to be supported by Azure IoT edge include:
- Perform Edge Analytics (a cut down version of Azure Stream Analytics)- Instead of doing analytics in cloud developer/implementer can move the basic cloud data processing and analytical capabilities to Edge Device. Run your machine learning algorithms in Edge device and take predictive analytics steps.
- Perform Artificial Intelligence processing at edge device itself. Availability of Microsoft Cognitive Service on edge device would bring in whole lot of automation capabilities. Imagine Alexa/Siri working without internet connection, it should be able to provide you reminders etc.
- Perform RealTime Decision making locally based on predefined rules.
- Reduce bandwidth costs
- Connect to other Edge devices and legacy devices within the constrained/corporate network.
- Deploy IoT solutions to Edge Device from Cloud and provide updates as needed.
- Operate offline without the need of real-time internet connectivity or intermittent connectivity. Doesn’t have to rely on Cloud to provide commands for processing, can do offline data capture and processing of information from other devices connected and take decisions without the need to rely on a connected cloud service.
Azure IoT Edge enables seamless deployment of cloud services such as:
Along with sharing the image represents Azure’s Enterprise Digital Vision, we will discuss about the same in later sessions:
Getting Started & More information:
January 7, 2017
Analytics, Azure, Azure SDK, Cloud Computing, Communication Protocols, Contrained Networks/Devices, Data Collection, Data Integration, Emerging Technologies, Identity of Things (IDoT), Internet of Things, Interoperability, IoT, PaaS, Performance, Predictive Analytics, Predictive Maintenance, Realtime Analytics, Reliability, Scalability, Self Driven Cars, Solutions, Stream Analytics, Tech-Trends, Windowz Azure
Microsoft Azure IoT Suite Provisioned solutions will help you create your own fully integrated solutions tailored for your specific needs in the following 3 sections. Using these ready to consume solutions will accelerate your time to market IoT(Internet of Things) requirements.
- Remote Monitoring – Connect and monitor your devices to analyze untapped data and improve business outcomes by automating processes. For ex: As a car manufacturing company, provide an option to customer to remotely monitor their car condition, and suggest if they need a re-fuel or oil change.
- Connected Factory – Anticipate maintenance needs and avoid unscheduled downtime by connecting and monitoring your devices. For ex: As a car manufacturing factory and spare parts are essential for car manufacturing. Automated solutions can ensure timely availability of necessary spare parts inventory to meet daily, weekly or monthly manufacturing needs.
- Predictive Maintenance – Connect and monitor your factory industrial devices for insights using OPC UA to drive operational productivity. For ex: As a car service support, you can get near real-time performance data from the cars manufactured by your company, predict the health of each components in a car and offer timely maintenance to their cars. Send real-time reminders and notifications to customers. Their by ensuring higher satisfaction levels for customers and more business value to the organization as it attracts more sales and good customer feedback.
These solutions will help you to:
Connect and scale quickly – Use preconfigured solutions, and accelerate the development of your Internet of Things (IoT) solution.
Analyze and process data – Collect previously untapped data from devices and sensors, and use built-in capabilities to visualize—and act on—that data.
Integration and Digital Transformation – Easily integrate with your systems and applications, including Salesforce, SAP, Oracle Database, and Microsoft Dynamics, making it simple to access your data and keep your disparate systems up to date.
Enhanced security – Set up individual identities and credentials for each of your connected devices—and help retain the confidentiality of both cloud-to-device and device-to-cloud messages.